Vegan Trifle Recipe
For a vegan trifle recipe, it is all about the cream that you use. Forget the canned whipped cream you can buy and make your own which I explain how to do here.
I made this trifle for a Vegan Fayre recently and was told by a few people that it was the best vegan trifle they had ever tasted. I think it is because I use my own cream recipe (below) and that is what makes the difference.
The picture that I took doesn't do it justice I'm afraid but rest assured - it tastes great!!
100 g / 3 1/2 oz self raising flour
55 g / 2 oz vegan margarine
55 g / 2 oz raw unrefined organic cane sugar
2 Tbsps water
Few drops of vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
15 g / 1/2 oz / 1 Tbsp cornflour
3-4 Tbsps of plant based milk
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 / 190°C / 375°F.
2. Cream the margarine and sugar together until fluffy.
3. Mix the flour into the water with a fork and mix it into the margarine mixture a little at a time. Add the vanilla essence.
4. Mix the flour, baking powder and cornflour together and add them to the bowl together with enough soya milk to make a batter of dropping constistency.
5. Put the batter into two 7 inch sandwich cake tins for about 25 minutes or until firm and springy to the touch.
6. Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack to cool before adding a filling of your choice. I really layer on the jam for this part. In fact, I will usually use a whole jar of the stuff!!
Slice or crumble the cake and arrange around the bottom of the glass bowl.
Optional extra: pour some alcohol over the cake layer. Brandy is frequently used.
Fruit and Jelly Layer
You can buy vegan jelly powder from health food shops in a variety of flavours. Depending on what flavour you choose obviously depends on which fruit you use.
Make up the jelly as per instructions and allow to cool for a minute or two. Place the fruit over the sponge and pour the jelly mixture over the fruit and sponge. Allow to cool thoroughly!!
Make up the custard according to the instructions. It will say to add soya milk but you can add a mixture of soya milk and soya cream. This should be cool/cold before using. Custard powder is usually vegan.
Spread the custard over the jelly layer when it is completely cool. You can make the custard a day beforehand to make it easier on the day.
Vegan cream layer.
This vegan cream recipe goes perfectly with a trifle. Easy to do and tastes just right.
When completely cool (not room temperature), spread the vegan cream over the custard layer.
Arrange some fruit over the top and put in the fridge until ready to serve
Take Me Home
Leave Vegan Trifle Recipe and go to Vegan Substitutes
Leave Vegan Trifle Recipe and go to Vegan Food Products